Fireworks cause fire in Wayne park
Members of the Wayne Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call at approximately 10:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 25.
A large tree stump was on fire at the Boys Scout Park (Roosevelt Park) near Logan Creek.
The fire was quickly extinguished and no damage was done to any property.
It was determined that the fire was caused by fireworks being discharged in the area.
Fire Chief Phil Monahan is urging everyone to use extreme caution when using fireworks this year. He said the forecast is for hot, dry conditions in the coming week, adding to the chance for a fire.
The department also received a call from Wayne State College early Friday morning. An alarm sounded in one of the college’s buildings, but there was no fire.